Wednesday, December 14, 2016

If It Were Not True I Would Have Told You

Messiahs promised successful revolution;
making Israel great again; only they could do it.
Such a Messiah would force a solution
to centuries of humiliation and make it fit.

Israel had been losing, and now it would win.
Israel needed only the strong and steady hand
of a wild-eyed Messiah and it would once again
claim the promises, ancient promises, of the land.

Messiah after Messiah said he'd break the yoke of Rome,
reclaim Israel's independence and political power,
establish a long-lost, longed for Jewish home,
a place of peace o're-eaved  by Jacob's bower.

But this new Messiah – this Jesus – had a different plan:
not, I will make this willful people great again,
but, I go to prepare a place, a better place than
you've imagined, a place not marred by sinful hands.

You believe in God, he said, then believe also in me.
I wouldn't tell you this if it weren't true, listen it's all true.
And when I've gone and prepared that place you'll see
me come again; one world destroyed, another made anew.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Blessed are the meek:
            for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are the poor in spirit:
            for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst
            after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the pure in heart: 
           for they shall see God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment