Monday, March 9, 2015

Is Obama A Christian?

by Jim Rapp

For we are to God the pleasing aroma
of Christ among those who are being
saved and those who are perishing.
(2 Cor. 2:15 NIV)

I have no way of knowing
who is a Christian and who is not.
God has reserved unto Himself
that insight.

I know Whom I have believe
and am persuaded that He
can keep all that I’ve committed
to Him until that day.

But I do have a metric by which
I judge what is and what isn’t Christian,
Not who but what;
I lay each deed alongside the pattern
taught and demonstrated by the One
whose name Christianity bears.

By that metric I judge
malice, hatred, slander,
jealousy, conceit,
misattribution, falsification,
misappropriation, dissension,
uncompromising obstructionism,
extreme partisanship, deviousness,
untruthfulness, selfish ambition,
self-centeredness, callousness,
to be unchristian behaviors,
and those who engage in them,
in my opinion, bring discredit
to the cause of Christ.

By the same metric I judge
love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness,
self-control to be Christian
behaviors and those who engage
in them, in my opinion, bring credit
to the cause of Christ.

By that metric I am forced to judge
most of what I see and hear
from the opponents of the President
to be unchristian in character.
 
By the same metric I must judge
the President’s response
to his opponent’s behaviors,
and his own behaviors in general,
to be Christian in character.

Is Obama a Christian?
Are his opponents Christian?
God only knows, but He has provided
us with a metric to judge the fruit
of men’s lives – His own life and words –
and by that metric Republican behaviors
over the last six years smell like rotting fruit.

To the one we are an aroma that brings death;
to the other an aroma that brings life.
And who is equal to such a task?
(2 Cor. 2:16 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment