Saturday, January 3, 2015

Old Age Musings at 7:10 a.m.

by Jim Rapp 

I'm awake at 7:10 a.m. on this Saturday morning –
awoke at 6:00 a.m., after a fairly successful night of sleep –
attending to the death of my hearing aids, first right, then left,
and enjoying the quiet that ensues once that they are gone.
The world was never meant to be as loud as it has become. 

I'm thankful for hearing, but it isn't an unmixed inconvenience
that the world has become more muted in my elder years.
Of course that is just how I feel this morning –
and other morning's when my batteries have died. 

There are times when I would love to hear more keenly
the whole range of sound available to the human ear;
to see more keenly as I thread the needle's eye;
or discern the eagle’s flight in a far off sky.

I'm blessed to have lived long enough to lose,
and thus to know the value of, the sensual gifts
that I was once the proud possessor of.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment