Sunday, March 20, 2011

On Doing What Love Demands

                Love’s Ought
                          by Jim Rapp

Ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin,
and have omitted . . . judgment, mercy, and faith:
these ought ye to have done, and not to leave
the other undone. Mt 23:23 

In the end it’s not the things I’ve got
through thrift, or wit, or battles fought;
not things at all that “spice” my lot,
for things are fraught,
before and aft, and wrongly thought
to be a source of joy they’re not.

It’s nothing that I’ve sold or bought
but rather gifts I’ve freely brought
to Compassion’s altar, all unsought,
to bless another, overwrought
with cares or needs, that caught
the meaning of Love’s ought.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Things are nothing. Love your poetry. I've been reading it aloud to my daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment