Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Just Glad to be a Part of the Big Bang

Ever wonder what you could have been like if you had been given a say at your “making”? Don’t get nervous, I’m not talking about that intimate moment between your mother and father. That is an insignificant (but essential) step along the way to who you are today. But rather I’m thinking of that cosmic event when your genes were determined and your trajectory set.

It all had to have been decided before the Big Bang. And that is what is so amazing to me. I can hardly plan the clothes I want to lay out for the next day without forgetting some vital item. But the Designer-of-all-that-is had my being (all of it) tucked into the diagram of that intricate macrocosm that we call the material universe in such a way that billions of years (by our physicist’s accounting) after He set it all in motion, behold, I appeared.

What a disappointment! All of that to end with this!

Well, I know this (meaning me) isn’t the end. I certainly am not the first disappointment. History and Scripture are replete with examples to prove that. And there are more disappointments to come, perhaps billions more before the Designer-of-all-that-is draws it all back into His mind and decides whether to try it again, if that, indeed, is how it all will end.

But what if I could have been there when the decision was made to make me a part of God’s creative plan? Looking down that long, long tunnel of time to 1936 a.d. I could have suggested some changes to my anatomy that would have made me a more pleasant sight to behold. And perhaps a few more notches up on the I.Q. scale would have been helpful too. There are several “talents” I’d have bestowed upon myself. I’d certainly have positioned myself to have more wealth. And I’d have tweaked my genes so I could reach a ripe old age without the discomfort of deterioration. In short, I’d have made myself a glory to behold and a joy to know.

Now why didn’t God think of that? In fact I think He did. All of those options and more were available to Him. But in the end he rejected them to make me who I am. And who am I to say that I am not, in His eyes, a glory to behold, smart enough to do the things he put me here to do, given talents well beyond what I have made of them, rich beyond calculating in the things that really matter, and blessed beyond my desserts with health and years of life?

No, this old guy, who can’t remember to lay out a clean pair of socks for the next day, couldn’t be trusted to say what should be, a few billion years after the Big Bang. He just needs to be awe-fully grateful that his set of genes were included in that intricate plan, and that his trajectory allowed him live with, and love, those whose tracks run parallel to his. With a sufficient amount of grace his trajectory could run right back to the One who designed it long before the Big Bang.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully put. Glad to have our paths run parallel for a time.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment