Monday, March 21, 2011

A Hard Decision


One of the hardest choices we make in life is deciding what we want to “make of ourselves.” Even the sound of that sentence grates on the spirit of a Christian who knows that all that he/she is, that is worth honoring, is the work of God’s Spirit. Worth honoring? That too grates, as a goal unworthy of one who wishes their life only to honor their Lord.

So what are we to do? I’ve struggled most of my life with a desire to use those talents that I sense I’ve been given, but to not raise my profile so high that I seem to be saying my “achievements” are anything of my doing. “In Him we live, and move, and have our being.”

The goal, I guess, is to do what we do to the best of the ability God has given us, and then wait to see what God deems worthy of His praise. It is in that spirit that I presume to write a Blog and fill it with my thoughts, which I trust are not my thoughts but rather thoughts spoken through me.


              The Honor of Anonymity
                           by Jim Rapp
(A reaction to an e-mail solicitation from
Kim Hornyak
Director of Book Marketing, Jenkins Group, Inc.)

Why should one strive to be known?
Is it important that one be known?
Why should one work to avoid . . . anonymity?

Some of humanity’s most honored “poets”
are known only by their work, coming to us
unsigned . . . Anonymous.

Those who invented the wheel, cultivated maize,
discovered uses for fire, and created the first
alphabet are . . . Anonymous.

Prehistoric potters, sculptors, balladeers,
warriors, statesmen, farmers, inventers, engineers
all remain . . . Anonymous.

The basic tools of all we know of math and art
and game and song, of work and play,
are gifts given by geniuses . . . anonymously.

I’m being hounded by those who
want to help me become known; who will,
they say, for a fee, save me from . . . anonymity.

But waving, exclaiming, “I did it! I did it!”
assumes the work I “did” would bring no shame
if made the bearer of my name.

Perhaps a “poet” should make Time the judge,
deciding what deserves a name to blame;
reserving the best for the honor of
                                     . . . anonymity.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was one of Tolkien's hobbits who, having escaped detection by an enemy, commented that it's not always a bad thing to be overlooked (or something like that). There are many reasons to avoid notoriety and be grateful for anonymity. Thanks for your meditations, Jim.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Comments are moderated and will appear as soon as possible after posting. Follow these steps:
1. Write your comment
2. Select a profile
(Anonymous or Name works best)
3. Select Preview
4. Sign word verification
5. Select Post Comment